Friday, December 12, 2008

It's Just a Flesh Wound...

Like so many others, I’ve been thinking about the current state of our economic and political situation. It’s difficult to avoid, as we are bombarded with news and commentary from every side. Lately, an interesting thought hit me—regarding the motivations driving our national elected officials to make some of the choices they are making.

Ever since I was little, I always wanted to know “why.” This often got me into trouble as a youth. It was never good that my parents told me to accomplish some task. Instead of doing the task immediately, I made the mistake of demanding to know WHY it had to be done. I’ve not been cured of this aliment. Why do supposedly smart, intelligent adult US Representatives and Senators, make some of the decisions they are making? Why do they insist on doing things that have proven to be, or appear, by experience or common wisdom, to be stupid? Why do politicians end up getting arrested for graft and corruption? Why do we sometimes elect and re-elect these same people? As I pondered these things, something struck me....

In many ways, I have views that would be classified as Libertarian. Though I do not align myself with them, I do agree with the tenant of minimal government. When I see the power-grabbing and control that Congress is gleeful about assuming these days, I begin to ask “why?” I want to believe that those in the hallowed halls of the Legislative Branch, are motivated by altruism and servant-leadership. Unfortunately, what I see and sense, is they are acting out of something more self-serving and small. I think Congress needs us to need them. Or at least, they need to have attention. Wait, isn't there a psychological condition that is strangely similar?

“Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy…a mental illness in which a person [Congress] acts as if an individual [Country] he or she is caring for has a physical or mental illness [economic woes] when the person is not really sick [or bad as it seems].
MSP most often occurs with mothers [politicians] …who intentionally harm or describe non-existent symptoms in their children to get the attention given to the family of someone who is sick. A person with MSP uses the many hospitalizations [dire financial melt downs] as a way to earn praise from others for her devotion to the child’s care, often using the sick child as a means for developing a relationship with the doctor or other health care provider.”
People with MSP might create or exaggerate the child’s [our Nation’s] symptoms in several ways. They might simply lie about symptoms, alter diagnostic tests (such as contaminating a urine sample), falsify medical records, or induce symptoms through various means, such as poisoning, suffocating, starving, and causing infection .
Certain characteristics are common in a person with MSP:
Often is a parent, usually a mother [politician]
Might be a health care professional [Experts]
Is very friendly and cooperative with the health care providers
Appears quite concerned (some might seem overly concerned) about the child”
{From my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/factitious_disorders/hic_munchausen_syndrome_by_proxy.aspx}
[bracketed items added by me]

Is this fair or a good analogy? Probably not, but it does make me wonder...just a little!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I think that is a very fair and fairly accuarate analogy.

This whole situation also reminds me of when I was younger and had a "grand plan" for my life that I wanted some sort of assistance from you in. I had to have a very well drawn out plan, all my ducks in a row, so to speak. If the plan wasn't good enough for you to get behind, it was back to the drawing board. In the end if it still wasn't good enough for you to be comfortable with, the "bill died."

We were watching the news last night and OK Sen Tom Coburn said that plan for congress to become a manager for the auto companies is NOT a good idea...
"You're asking Congress - who has a TERRIBLE record of managing anything - to put in place a czar to run an auto company; to essentially tell them what they can and can't do. I would tell you that we're the LAST people you ought to be asking to do that."

if the senator has a problem with it I think the rest of us should have a problem with it!