Wednesday, June 18, 2008

You'll Never Know Until You Try...

Well, let's just say corn should not be transplanted once it's been in the ground for a few weeks! We had waited too long to thin our corn--it is about 10" tall. So a few days ago, we decided it was time; of course, I couldn't stand the thought of all those 'unlucky' stalks being so rudely plucked and tossed away. The next best thing was the try and save a few by transplanting the loosers into an open row we had saved for later plantings. By the next day, most of those newly transplanted whelps were bent over and loosing their vibrant green color. Perhaps all is not lost, we should know the verdict by the weekend.

On a brighter note, I found a very good insecticide for the garden. Some web browsing turned up a naturally derived compound called Neem oil, a trifecta of garden defenses. Its an insecticide, a fungicide, and a miticide. Originally, I needed something to knock back the White Mildew on my summer squash plants. I also applied it on the green beans, cucumbers, watermelon, and cantelope (all these, minus the beans, are from the same family and have a susceptibility to White Mildew). Current indications are the stuff works wonders! Fairly inexpensive as well. I even found the concentrate version at my local Wally World. (That's Walmart).

I promise that the 'Garden Corner' will soon give way to other Front Porch topics soon. I'm a bit weary of politics right now. Perhaps oil, alternative energy, leadership and careers, or even some revolutionary war tidbits, will surface soon.

4 comments:

Johnny said...

Why not put some pictures of your garden? Otherwise, no one is going to bother reading your stupid nonsense!
Really like the part about the insecticide.

Kimberly said...

Hey Dad!
You are a blogger now! :) I thought I'd leave a comment so you could easily link up to my blog.
Love you!

Johnny said...

Hey, how do I get access to post on here?

Missy said...

Uh oh. You're going to let Johnny post on here? Are you fully aware that all topics eventually lead back to the Revolutionary War? Just checking. (:
I love the premise of your blog. This is going to be fun.