Sunday, June 22, 2008

Driving with Brights On

I'm getting a little older, not much, but, yes, its happening, I actually leave my turn signal on after executing a turn! I know this can be annoying, and perhaps, at times, dangerous. However, like the human I am, I will excuse myself by pointing at other peoples' mistakes, which by default, make mine less offensive, right? No matter, on with my rant.

What is it with the high-beams anyway? I comprehend the need to drive with them on at night, but in the words of my friend 'come on!' What's up with the high-intensity, 5-million-watt-shoot-the-enemy-aircraft-down-in-a-blizzard high beams! These new uber-bright nuclear explosions of blinding light are just plain obnoxious, not to mention dangerous. It would be tolerable, if those using them would have the decency to switch to low-beams when on-coming cars, trucks, and low-flying aircraft, and Bambi approach. Alas, these are probably the same people who believe that traffic rules like merging at construction zones, and tailgating, are for the mortal pigmys that entangle their othewise royal life. Rules, those are for the weak, not the privileged.

I have to admit here, I have actually forgotten to turn my brights down a few times! I never intended for that other guy to drive into the ditch, to avoid my high-beams. At least I don't have those obnoxious super-bright, ultra-blue, deer-killing, laser-beam head lights that have been known to blind a double-eyelid Vulcan, instantly! Remember what happened to Spock? These things are worse. Its all true, I read it on the internet! Perhaps, I'll just drive with my sunglasses on all the time.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hehehe! This is funny...if you don't mind being temporarily blinded while you think about it. I must admit that I agree, although out here in the good ol' KY countryside, I often drive with my brights on, and forget to turn them down. Oops!

Johnny said...

I especially like the comment about the "mortal pigmys." Good one. That's a good rant, and just the right length to start a discussion. Thanks for the points we all wanted to make.

Steve said...

Interestingly enough, your eye works differently at night. During the daytime, you "cones cells" are dominate and you see with your "photopic vision", which is most sensitive to the yellow light of the sun. Under the low light conditions of night, your "rod cells" take over and you see with "scotopic vision", which is most sensitive to blue light, like the light reflected by the moon.

So the blue lights of the car are designed for you to see real well at night, and as you pointed out, they're also great for blinding other drivers!

...that's basically the only useful thing I remember from a year up at Lighting...and now you know it too!